First, let me explain a bit what anxiety is.
Basically, when we’re in a situation that might require us to run (such as being chased) or require a burst of energy, we get a little adrenaline rush to allow us to. Those with anxiety get the fight-or-flight feeling whenever anything uncomfortable happens (those with phobic anxiety will get the feeling whenever they are near whatever their phobia, et cetera).
So! What you should do when you’re starting to get anxious is ask yourself whether you’re in an emergency or not. Is anyone in danger of getting hurt? Might there be anything destructive?
In most cases, no. But to prevent yourself from getting worked up like there would be something going wrong try:
- Square breathing. First take a breath counting to four, hold it for a count of four, let it go for a count of four, and don’t inhale for a count of four. Take two regular breaths and if you don’t feel better, repeat. Usually you take shallower breaths when anxious/scared, so take deeper ones to relax you and slow your heart rate down.
- Distract yourself. The options here are endless! Watch TV, cook something, read a book, play a game, write a letter. Physical, hands-on projects are usually the favorites of most, as they get you to move. Common projects are crafting, gardening, or cross-word puzzles.
- Do something physical. Not only does this release pent-up energy, but if done regularly it actually lessens anxiety in general. It doesn’t have to be very hard activity, a simple walk outside works. Fresh air helps a lot. Most favorites are walking, swimming, and dancing.
- Tell your anxiety to shut up. Really. If you have to yell at it, do it! A lot of people have little phrases they like to repeat to themselves, such as “This is just anxiety. I can get through this,” “I’ve done this before, I can do it again!” “This isn’t an emergency. I can think calmly about what I need to do here,” “This isn’t a problem. I can chill!” “Anxiety will not run my life. I run it!” If a phrase seems to stop working, you can easily use another one.
- Write it out. This is something else you can do to distract yourself, as creating something via writing can keep your mind elsewhere, or you can write out what’s making you anxious and what you can do to “save” yourself from any bad outcomes.
- Listen to a meditation tape. These can help because they’re telling you how to relax, what to think, et cetera.
If you need any more tips, don’t hesitate to ask! ^///^ Best wishes!
This is very good advice! My therapist has told me a lot of these same things. Even if you’re just nervous about a big project you’ve been working too hard on or a speech you have to give, relaxing and not being anxious about the event will help you do better and think better. You can’t think or live right when your body constantly thinks it’s being chased by a bear. All your energy gets focused on running away from the metaphorical bear and/or kicking the metaphorical bear’s ass, when in reality there is no bear and you have to live your life.
Now I very much want to change my blog title to ‘there is no bear.’
Ten meets his double, declares him to be “born in battle, full of blood and anger and revenge,” and abandons him in a parallel universe without the TARDIS.
Eleven meets his double and immediately they’re bow-tie-wearing BFFs, complimenting each other and apparently preparing to put on a puppet show.
Well, that’s ‘cause Ten’s double WAS born in battle and committed genocide for christ’s sake. Eleven’s double was just made of goo and served no purpose other than to confuse Amy.
^In reference to Claus barging in on Xander and Tyler
Publishing for Paige to see.
aall of my friends are perfect.
Sure, I’ll go do that now.
aall of my friends are perfect.
Sure, I’ll go do that now.
Best thing that has happened to me this week: Uhmmm. To be honest, starting my flvs classes. I finally have motivation to be productive! /nerd
How I’d spend ten thousand bucks: College.
Something I’m currently worrying about: See above answer.
Something I do without realizing: Uhm…be rude, I do that a lot apparently. I seem to be very good at obliviously hurting people’s feeling. I just think people are too sensitive, but that’s just me.
Press Ctrl V and post: (Prepare for something you wrote, I’m guessing xD) “Never mind about that boy. I can’t even bother about him anymore. See, now? You’ve got me in a tizzy. Kiss it better, darling, kiss it better!” (I was right!)
Sorry, Dani, I just had to post this. xD
Reasons I enjoy roleplaying.
Especially with this woman.
- The person I like and why I like them
- A famous person I’ve been compared to
- 5 things that irritate me about the same/opposite sex
- The best thing that has happened to me this week
- Weird things I do when I’m alone
- How I’d spend ten thousand bucks
- Things I like and things I don’t like about the way I look
- My last night out in detail
- Something that makes me sad when I think about it
- Something Ive lied about
- Would I rather be stranded on a desert island with someone I love for ten years or someone I hate for a month? Explain why
- Something Im currently worrying about
- One person from Tumblr Id throw off a cliff, one Id marry and one Id fuck
- Something I do without realizing
- Lyrics that apply to my current situation/mood
- A drunken story
- Something I regret
- To do list
- Post a picture of myself
- My longest relationship and who it was with
- Press Ctrl V and post
- Post a bit of my last IM convo
- 5 things I want to change
- My view on being Tumblr Famous
- Someone Id like to be for a day and why
- 5 things within touching distance
- Story of my first kiss
- An embarrassing/socially awkward situation Ive found myself in
- Something Im not proud of
- The last argument I had
I don’t enjoy this.
I love Emily Weeks.
omg, Kurt, STOP BEING SO CUTE.
Why are my favorite boys being so cute? Cx
I’m probably making a Ravenclaw eventually in addition to Violaa.